[WSBAPT] HCDPAs for Minors Signing Requirements

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Mon Jul 6 13:06:04 PDT 2015

Paul,

I am not aware of any requirement that powers of attorney be witnessed or
acknowledged to be effective (just to be recorded). I am generally aware
that hospitals are somewhat nervous to very nervous about being sued, as
well as about the whole privacy issue.

What I would do were I in your situation is put that extra language above
the signature line for unsworn affidavits, even though it would be legally
superfluous, with "City/County Where Signed" printed under the line instead
of "Place Where Signed," then attach the statute which says "RCW Sec. blah,
blah" about unsworn statements to the form. If you want to go to the extra
10 yards, include the form for certifying the authority of the AIF, with
that applicable statute. Modify the form to be specific to the situation. Or
don't do any of the foregoing if you think it will be off-putting to the
supervisory adult. As you say, something is probably better than nothing.
There's always the risk that the poor fellow who takes the kid to the
hospital will be faced with a decision which will go against the parents'
wishes - tetanus booster, some sort of surgery decision, whether to
transport or call 911, etc. At least no one extra will be required for
signature.