[WSBAPT] Probate question

Sarah Jael Dion sarah at dionlaw.com
Fri Jul 3 11:57:19 PDT 2015

Hello list-mates. I do estate planning, but have not been involved in doing probates.

If a person dies and leaves a house (assume one worth less than say $500K), but no other probate assets, is probate required? I know that strictly speaking, the answer is yes, and that the house must go through the probate process in order to transfer title to the heir/s. But in practice, could a seller/heir obtain the necessary title insurance without opening a probate?

If probate is required, not just legally, but practically, how do probate lawyers get paid if the house is the only asset?

Many thanks for anyone willing and able to educate me a little!

Sarah Jael Dion

Dion Law PLLC
206-550-4005
sarah at dionlaw.com
dionlaw.com

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please notify me immediately and delete the message. Please do not copy or send this message to anyone else.