[WSBAPT] HCDPAs for Minors Signing Requirements

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Thu Jul 2 20:30:08 PDT 2015

The purpose of the power of attorney is to convince non-lawyers to recognize
the requests of a person's authority to act on behalf of the principal. In
that respect, I believe that "adding weightiness and looking important" can
come in quite handy. That's why I always added that notary stamp to a lot of
documents which did not legally require one, such as Health Care Directives
and Health Care Powers of Attorney. It's there to give doctors, nurses,
nurse practitioners, and administrators a level of comfort in dealing with
legal matters they are not trained to interpret. If every other similar
legal document comes with witnesses and acknowledgments, those without such
raise a warning flag. If, on the other hand, your document has even more
authentication than others, such as an acknowledgment in addition to witness
signatures, such serves, in my opinion, to add validity. Of course, if you
use the form standardized and in common use by the institution where you
know your client will be going, that also should be easily accepted.