[WSBAPT] Mental Illness and POA

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Thu Jan 22 15:42:58 PST 2015

Thanks again.  Based upon everyone's responses, it appears that everyone treats a medical POA and a Mental Health Directive (with a POA) as two entirely separate documents.  Unless someone has a better idea, my plan is simply to draft language in the DPOA that states that in the event of a conflict between the DPOA for medical/financial and the Mental Health Directive (and its accompanying POA), that the Mental Health Directive should govern as it is more specific re some medical treatments.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
Adoption Attorney*
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
 *Adoption Attorney reflects election as a Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, an invitation based organization of 300+ attorneys nationwide, under its criteria of experience, ethics and peer recommendation. Washington's Supreme Court has not yet developed or recognized a credentialing process for specialties, and certification/fellowship is not required to practice law in this state.