[WSBAPT] Interesting Problem

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Mon Jan 5 13:01:00 PST 2015

Robert:

This goes to the authority of the court to force parties to do something (like refinance the mortgage within a time certain), with the court's contempt power being the ultimate club if the person has not done so (although if the person has made best efforts, but has been refused a refinance for some reason, one wonders whether he/she could be held in contempt of court.  In such an instance, however, my thought is it is possible that the court might order that the home be sold in order to have the mortgage paid off, with your client's name being removed in that fashion.  BUT - I am given pause as to that being a possible bit of relief since the court cannot modify dissolution decrees as to property and debt distribution, per statute.)  BUT - all of the comments in this paragraph apply only to a situation where the person ordered to do something by the court is still alive.

Now that the person ordered to refinance is deceased, the divorce court cannot enforce its order, in my opinion.  Your question implies that you might be thinking that the court can order the mortgage holder to take your PC's "name off the mortgage," but that it impossible, since the mortgage company is not a party to the original litigation, and cannot be ordered to do anything.

However, your PC probably fits the category of a "creditor," which, under RCW 11.28.120, gives her the right to file the probate and serve as PR if others have not filed to serve in that role.

As PR, she might well be able to arrange to sell the house, which would allow her to reach her goal.

Methinks that your PC probably let things slide too long.  This is a heck of a time to be trying to do something, particularly if the divorce decree set a date certain by which time the (now-deceased) ex-spouse was to have accomplished the refinance.  Many divorce decrees have provisions that order a refinance, but also order that if the person ordered to obtain the refinance fails to do so, the house is to be sold.  But, even if the divorce decree had such a provision, it is now too late to do anything within the divorce case.  Probate court is the only place where something could take place.  If your PC becomes the PR, it puts her in the driver's seat insofar as steering the probate towards a sale of the house.  Meanwhile, she could make up the back-due payments with her own funds, and seek reimbursement from the sale proceeds upon sale.

However, it is well possible that the house is "under water," which is (perhaps) why the refinance could not take place.  In that case, your PC might well be out of luck, with her credit potentially taking a hit.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.