[WSBAPT] Henderson, Nevada - Property Transfer

hhherman2 hhherman2 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 15:07:04 PST 2015

Julie,

You can make the transfer right in your office. All you need is a deed
executed by your client. Once the client executes the deed, and you remove
it from his control during his lifetime, the transfer is complete. To remove
it from his control you can deliver it to the grantee or someone acting for
the grantee. You can mail it to the grantee. (return receipt to show the
date of mailing.) He signs the deed and it is delivered, i.e., removed from
his control during his lifetime and the transfer is made.

Recording the deed is a completely different transaction and has nothing to
do with the transfer of the property interest. The recording simply puts the
transfer on the public record which is notice to all, and maybe establishes
some priority in regard to other recorded or unrecorded interests. I had a
client one time who had carried his deed around for 25 years before he
recorded it. He only recorded it when he tried to sell the property and the
title company could not find his ownership interest on the public record.

If you have a concern about the form of the deed, you can call any title
company in Nevada and ask them to email you a quit claim deed form. Since
this is a gift you probably don't want to make any warranties. A quit claim
deed merely stands for the proposition,  I make no promises, but if I have
any interest in the property, you get it. If there is anything peculiar to
Nevada like having to state the deed transfers after acquired title, the
title officer will tell you. Some forms have that language in them.

So, you can see, getting the deed recorded is no big deal. There is a lot of
time to do that. Your client is about to die so you don't need to worry that
he will deed to someone else or mortgage the property before this deed is
recorded. In fact the grantee my want to get a preliminary report on the
property before recording the deed just in case there is some liability that
goes with the property.

Regards,

Howard Herman

Herman Herman & Jolley PS