[WSBAPT] Mandatory withholding on tax deferred account paid toEstate

J A Cyphers jacyphers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:34:54 PST 2015

Be sure that you receive the payment and distribute it in the same tax year
for the estate.
So pay attention to your tax year on the estate, and, of course, you can do
a fiscal year if needed and the estate has not already chosen a tax year.
Then you just have the pass through of the DNI to the heirs and no tax
consequences on the estate income tax return.
Thus, I would not have any withholding to the Estate, just complicates
trying to pass that withholding through to the heirs.
Instead, give the money to the heirs, tell them they will need to pay income
tax on it and will get a K-1 from the Estate and suggest they put 20% away
to pay the taxes and talk to their accountants for a better estimate.

Jackie Cyphers
Jeannette A. Cyphers, Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 908
Edmonds, WA 98020-0908
425-776-5887
fax 425-640-0814
jacyphers at gmail.com

We do not use encrypted email so this message is not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege.  NOTE:  This email address is NOT
monitored 24/7.  If your matter requires prompt attention please call our
offices during business hours so we can discuss it with you and also discuss
timing.

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
Sections 2510-2521 applies to this e-mail. Unauthorized review of
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by phone or reply e-mail. Do not disseminate this
e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies.