[WSBAPT] Minor Beneficiary of $10,000 Bequest

Rebecca King rebecca at nwelg.com
Wed Feb 25 14:11:47 PST 2015

Thanks to all for your replies!

Rebecca King

Attorney

Northwest Elder Law Group

11300 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 101

Seattle, WA 98125

(206) 937-6102

Fax (206) 830-9326

Providing Services in Elder Law

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Heather deVrieze
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:59 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Minor Beneficiary of $10,000 Bequest

I tend to err on the side of disclosure of the circumstances, of plan for distribution and ask the Court what further will be required. I don’t assume a PGAL will be required, but expect that it might and prepare to make their review as streamlined as possible, having my plan in place up front.

For example, I might state the circumstances and plan as follows: “The Will provides for a distribution of $10,000 to MB a minor aged 10 who is the grandchild of the deceased and the child of the Personal Representative. The Will provides no particular protective provisions for this beneficiary’s inheritance, but the Personal Representative would like to distribute funds to a blocked custodial account pursuant to UTMA, with Personal Representative as custodian, for ultimate distribution to the beneficiary upon attaining the age of 18. A receipt of funds into blocked account would be filed as proof of distribution to said minor.”

Then, leave it up to the Commissioner to determine whether the estate needs to pay a GAL for that minor.

When the custodian will have access to the funds because it is not a blocked account, when amounts are greater, when a percentage is involved, when distribution would be withheld until the minor was 21 or 25, or where there is anything else funky involved, the Court almost certainly going to want a PGAL involved.

For this reason, I include a provision for minor beneficiaries in virtually every will that I draft giving the Personal Representative authority to distribute in one of several ways, giving them a fiduciary relationship to the minor. I have yet to have a PGAL required for a minor in those cases, even where the amounts were somewhat significant.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law

cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160

3909 California Avenue SW

Seattle, WA 98116-3705

(206)938-5500

 <mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com> heatherd at westseattlelaw.com

 <http://www.westseattlelaw.com/> www.westseattlelaw.com

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:    <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney> FB Logo

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.