[WSBAPT] Minor Beneficiary of $10,000 Bequest

Maureen Wickert wickertlaw at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 09:21:44 PST 2015

Marsha is correct. King County Commissioners will and do require a GAL for minor heirs in a probate matter.  I have a probate matter where small amounts needed to be distributed to three minors from a decedent who died without a Will. The Commissioner waived appointing a GAL for the minors conditioned upon the minor's funds being placed into a blocked custodial account for the minor. However, I may not have had the same result if I wanted an unblocked custodial account for the minor. In my case, the blocked account made sense for the children's circumstances. KC is sensitive to minors having limited GALs in probate matters if there are any questions.
Very truly yours,
Maureen A. Wickert, Attorney at Law

       WICKERT LAW OFFICE

14900 Interurban Avenue South, Ste 255
        Tukwila, WA 98168
       Phone: 206-859-5502
         Fax: 206-260-9005
     www.wickertlawoffice.com
       wickertlaw at comcast.net

This electronic message contains information which may be confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify me by telephone or by email immediately.