[WSBAPT] Quit claim deed vs. Personal represenative deed

Tara pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:53:42 PST 2015

This sounds like a classic nonpro rata distribution.  I'd just list WAC
458-61A-202(2) for the excise tax exemption to indicate what you are doing
in terms of distributions and simplify the language in the deed itself.

The minimum requisites under the Washington Conveyances statute (RCW 64.04)
are:

1. A grantor

2. A grantee

3. Consideration

3. Words of conveyance

4. A legal description

5. Signature of grantor, notarized

6. Delivery and acceptance

The TOD Deed has a few extra requirements under its own RCW Chapter.

The words of conveyance within the deed are the magic words that determine
the deed type and effect, such as the warranties given by the grantor and
the legal rights acquired by the grantee.

RCW 64.04.030 - Warranty Deed

"conveys and warrants to"

The Statutory Warranty Deed conveys five specific covenants against title
defects: warranty of seisin, warranty of right to convey, warranty against
encumbrances, warranty of quiet possession, and warranty to defend.

RCW 64.04.040 - Bargain and Sale Deed

"bargains, sells and conveys to"

The scope of warranties provided by the Bargain and Sale Deed are the
warranty of seisin and warranty against encumbrances, and are limited to
encumbrances created, permitted, or suffered by the grantor, and do not
extend to those of any prior owners.

RCW 64.04.050 - Quitclaim Deed

"conveys and quitclaims to"

The Quitclaim Deed includes no express warranties, and does not extend to
after acquired title, unless specifically referenced in the deed.

The title at the top of the document, whether it is "PR Deed" or "Quit Claim
Deed" or something else, is largely irrelevant.  I've seen "Quick Claim" by
a DIY pro se.  It's the words of conveyance that are key.  There are a
myriad of cases out there that have muddled out the meaning of various deed
forms, especially those of an overzealous drafter that comingled words of
conveyance from the differing deed forms.  Stick to the statutory language
for the words of conveyance.

Additional language may be included to limit or add specific warranties, add
after acquired title, provide background information, context or clarity for
a title review officer, heirs, later owners, etc.  But anything beyond the
required elements is optional and depends on the specific situation.  If it
is just going to confuse, then leave the extra language out.

Also, keep in mind that much of the supplemental information may be able to
be provided directly to the necessary parties by other outside
documentation, such as the estate inventory, a copy of the will, a schedule
of trust assets, or a report by the PR.  In many cases, this may add a
desired layer of privacy for the individuals involved.  I tend to keep any
extra information in the deed to a minimum, such as just an identification
of the estate, court, and case number, or clarification of math for
fractional shares, especially now that deeds are easily internet accessible
public records.

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law

roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com <mailto:roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com>

The information contained in this email is intended as a collegial exchange
of ideas, may be incorrect, and is made without warranty of accuracy of any
kind.  The ideas and opinions expressed in this message are offered as
unresearched thoughts, may be retracted or changed without notice, and do
not create any attorney-client relationship.  They should not be relied upon
as applicable to any particular fact situation. Thank you.