[WSBAPT] condo question

Spencer Stromberg spencers at sullivanstromberg.com
Tue Feb 3 17:54:55 PST 2015

I'm sorry to be a contrarian, but I believe the abbreviated legal
description is required regardless of whether the full legal is on the
first page or not.  RCW 65.04.045(1)(f) requires that the deed include on
the first page: "An abbreviated legal description of the property, and for
purposes of this subsection, “abbreviated legal description of the
property” means lot, block, plat, or section, township, range, and
quarter/quarter section, and reference to the document page number where
the full legal description is included, if applicable;"

In my experience, the abbreviated legal for a condo unit would be "Unit X
of ABC Condominium." At least the Spokane and Franklin County recorders
have been happy with that format.

The full legal should be something like: "Unit X of ABC Condominium,
according to Condominium Survey Map and Plans, ___________ County Auditor’s
File No. _____________, and according to that Condominium Declaration
recorded under ___________ County Auditor’s File No. ____________, both
recorded on Month Day, Year, ___________ County, State of Washington."

The mention of percentage interests in the common elements or of assigned
limited common elements are optional for Condominium Act condo units (post
7/1/90) and required, together with a statement of the intended use of the
unit, for Horizontal Property Regimes Act units, per RCW 64.32.120.

As others have stated, I am confused by the need to add the unit number to
the legal description. I wonder if there wasn't a scrivener's error in the
original deed?

Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Sullivan Stromberg, PLLC
827 W. 1st Avenue, Suite 425
Spokane, WA 99201-3914
P: 509.413.1004 ext. 101
D: 509.828.4644
F: 509.413.1078
E: spencers at sullivanstromberg.com

www.sullivanstromberg.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.