[WSBAPT] Getting successor trustee appointed

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Wed Dec 30 16:15:10 PST 2015

I have  a client whose dad died.  No other reason to do a probate.

No assets except for that discussed below, some debt:  therefore we can’t do a notice of claim of successor.

There is a $15,000 paid up veterans life insurance policy .  Beneficiary was designated “Jones revocable family trust”.
  No trust agreement can be located. Decedent did record a “Affidavit of Trust Existence” , which sets out the name and date of the trust and its named Trustees (both are dead) the successor Trustee (she also died) and it has no explanation of who/how successor trustees are picked.
My client doesn’t have authority to apply for insurance, as far as we can tell.

Has anyone petitioned the Superior Court to appoint a successor trustee?  Maybe a TEDRO action with VA as defendant?  Or is there an easier way to handle this?

thanks

Josh

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law