[WSBAPT] Vancouver WA referral

Martin Silver msilver at wolfenet.com
Wed Dec 9 17:29:24 PST 2015

Listmates:

    I was contacted by a fellow off of my website because he thinks he needs a State tax lawyer.  I can handle his issue but I think it may involve some personal contact and meetings and I would like to refer him to a knowledgeable lawyer in the Vancouver area. I don’t think it really requires a tax lawyer – it calls for someone with some debtor/creditor/lien workout moxie to negotiate encumbrance releases (State tax warrants) so that newly built  property can be sold, and appropriate parties, including DOR, get reasonable share of proceeds.  Fellow may have been hurt by ye olde bad bookkeeper who took the easy way out in an audit so that guy ended up with .5 M debt that DOR is looking at anew and may be reduced if he can prove he actually paid sales tax on purchases ( says his ex bookkeeper just negligently let proof to DOR slide).  It is a common problem where builders pay sales tax on materials and subcontracts and then are asked by DOR to produce proof that they paid that sales tax.  Problem is that in the meantime he says he has 4-5 houses he built that he wants to sell but cannot because of DOR filed warrant.  He also has a lender on the houses who, for some amazing reason, appears to not have a perfected security interest.  My view is he he needs someone (with moxie) who can negotiate releases of these houses if DOR gets enough of proceeds and if the lender can be satisfied enough not to try to tie properties up in litigation.

As I say, I think it is a debtor creditor lien issue that would be fun for a moxificacious lawyer to assist with.  Also sounds like the guy can pay.  He also sounded like a straight shooter or I wouldn’t both with this email.  Thanks.

MARTIN SILVER, LLM TAXATION, NYU
ATTORNEY AT LAW

1420 - Fifth Avenue, Suite 3000
Seattle, Washington 98101

Tel: (206) 224-3461
Fax: (206) 224-3459

Web: http://silvertaxlaw.com

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To comply with Treasury Department regulations, we inform you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or any other applicable tax law, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction, arrangement, or other matter

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT PLEASE IMMEDIATELY ADVISE THE SENDER BY REPLY EMAIL AND DELETE THE MESSAGE. THANK. YOU.