[WSBAPT] Custodial Account Transferred into SNT

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Wed Dec 9 13:06:51 PST 2015

(1)    This is a first party SNT if the child's funds are used and they are the child funds because these are custodial funds, i.e., a completed gift.

(2)    Because the child is under 64 (I am assuming so since custodial accounts don't go past 25 and you are using the reference "child"), parents can establish a medicaid payback SNT.

(3)    Technically yes if WA SNT because our state does not recognize self-settled trusts for asset protection purposes.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
Adoption Attorney*
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
 *Adoption Attorney reflects election as a Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, an invitation based organization of 300+ attorneys nationwide, under its criteria of experience, ethics and peer recommendation. Washington's Supreme Court has not yet developed or recognized a credentialing process for specialties, and certification/fellowship is not required to practice law in this state.