[WSBAPT] Person dies in Massachusetts / Defendant in WA case

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Dec 9 11:36:52 PST 2015

Washington asserts subject matter jurisdiction even for nonresidents who die outside the state, per RCW 11.96A.040(1)(c)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A&full=true#11.96A.040>. So I think a WA administration is allowed. Venue in any county per RCW 11.96A.050(4).

I don't think it requires an ancillary anywhere else. If there are truly no assets, no need for probate at all, but for this creditor claim that will get taken care of by insurance.

If a family member started a probate in Massachusetts, I suppose they might be able to get the Washington probate dismissed, but that sounds pretty unlikely.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC