[WSBAPT] Will signing under RCW 11.92.140

Katharine P. Bauer kpb at bpblegal.com
Thu Aug 27 11:39:46 PDT 2015

Why do you need a will?  Avoid probate? You can't make a will without
capacity, but to avoid a probate, you can get an order from the court to
transfer all assets into a trust which distributes pursuant to the last
will or intestate law.  The trust can only benefit the IP.  Same powers a
DPA has.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Jeanne Dawes <jjdawes at goregrewe.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm petitioning the Court for authority for the Guardian to execute a Last
> Will and Testament on behalf of an incapacitated person.  If any of you
> have done this, I'm trying to figure out how I should set up the Testator
> signature and witnesses, and would appreciate any input you may have.
>
> I'm thinking I should indicate the name of the IP and then state by: jane
> doe, guardian, pursuant to Court Order entered under Spokane County
> Superior Court Cause No. ________ on 8/31/2015.
>
> For the witness proof affidavit I'm not sure how to address the fact that
> the testator is not of sound and disposing mind.  Do I state that the
> Testator is an Incapacitated Person and that the Guardian appeared to be of
> sound and disposing mind?  Something like "the testator is an incapacitated
> person and the subject of a guardianship in which Jane Doe is the duly
> appointed guardian with the authority to execute the Will on behalf of the
> IP, and the Guardian appeared to be of sound and disposing mind."
>
> If you have experience with this or some other thought about how it should
> be done I would appreciate hearing from you.
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Jeanne J. Dawes
> Attorney at Law
> Gore & Grewe, P.S.
> 103 E. Indiana Avenue, Suite A
> Spokane, WA 99207-2317
> Voice:  509-326-7500
> Fax:      509-326-7503
> jjdawes at goregrewe.com<mailto:jjdawes at goregrewe.com>
>
> INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND
> CONFIDENTIAL.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, DO NOT READ,
> DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS).  IF
> YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER BY E-MAIL
> REPLY.

Katharine P. Bauer
Bauer Pitman Lifetime Legal, PLLC
1235 Fourth Ave. East, Suite 200
Olympia, Washington 98501
tel. 360.754.1976
fax. 360.943.4427

e-mail: kpb at bpblegal.com

This message is confidential and may be protected by the attorney-client
privilege; it is intended solely for the use of the individual named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any
notify the sender by telephone or e-mail, delete this message from your
files, and return any printed copies to the sender by U.S. mail. Circular
230 Disclosure: Any tax advice contained in this communication (including
any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used,
for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction, arrangement, or other matter