[WSBAPT] Questions regarding wrongful death claims and probate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Aug 20 11:37:12 PDT 2015

I think we are, as a profession, sometimes a little too paranoid about potential conflicts of interest between a PR's fiduciary and personal roles in an estate. But I do think I'd rather over-caution the client about the limits of our representation, than leave a PR with the impression that I can be relied on to maximize their own, personal, financial gain.

I think I could represent a PR in filing her/his own creditor claim, but I'd make sure any other beneficiary had every opportunity to contest it, so it's absolutely clear that the PR isn't taking advantage of her/his position. In general, if I'm in a position where my client has fiduciary duties that are nominally in conflict with personal interests, and the client wants to do something that arguably causes greater personal benefit compared to other beneficiaries, I advise that we take the matter to the court for approval. That's what I have done for approval of wrongful death settlements, where the PR is the child who had the closest tie to the deceased parent, and the other children were largely estranged and so should receive lesser compensation.

My mantra in those situations is, if in doubt on a PR's self-interested matter, get the court to approve the plan of action.

All that said, I do think my preference is to set the client's expectation that s/he might need a separate attorney, and then walk it back in scenarios where the conflict isn't so critical.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC