[WSBAPT] PR 's Estate Sales Exemption from Sales Tax

Martin Silver msilver at wolfenet.com
Wed Aug 5 18:47:16 PDT 2015

It is a casual sale.  WAC 458-20-106

From: Sandra Bates Gay
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 4:27 PM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv'
Subject: [WSBAPT] PR 's Estate Sales Exemption from Sales Tax

Sometimes the simple questions can drive you crazy.  I have been asked for the statutory citation exemption sale of estate personal property items by the PR who is not otherwise engaged in the sale of (retail) goods (not a consignee or auctioneer retained to conduct sales) – and other than the definition of “retailer,” I cannot locate the proper statutory reference that permits the PR to sell (jewelry, furniture, etc.) without collecting sales tax.  Can anyone provide the exemption reference?

Sandi Gay

SANDRA BATES GAY, P.S.

Attorney at Law

23515 NE Novelty Hill Rd.

Suite B211-397

Redmond, WA  98053-1996

Phone:             (425) 637-3040

Fax:                 (425) 952-0156

E-mail:             sgay at sbglaw-wa.com

NOTE:  Our office has moved to a new location.  Please note our permanent change in address and update your records accordingly.  Mail will not be forwarded from my prior address after February 17, 2015.

Also Note:  This office does not accept service of pleadings or process service by e-mail or fax except with the express prior permission of the intended recipient.  The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 USC Sec. 2510-2521; is confidential; and may also be subject to the attorney-client privilege.  The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the transmitted document(s) to the intended recipient, you are hereby notifed that any use, dissimilation, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited.