[WSBAPT] Creditor Claim S.O.L.

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Apr 22 15:22:26 PDT 2015

Even if it's community debt, the S/L still bars collection from the Estate and/or the claim is not proper as to post-death debts. It's not proper to file a creditor claim against the Estate for debts incurred by the surviving spouse. So, I still think it's valid to reject the creditor claim. And I think accepting the creditor claim would cause more problems than rejecting it could, unless the widow plans to pay it off completely now anyway. Accepting the claim could cause the Estate to become insolvent, or require some kind of arrangement for payment before the Estate could be closed--all administrative headaches that I think can be legally and properly avoided.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC