[WSBAPT] Creditor Claim S.O.L.

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Wed Apr 22 13:04:47 PDT 2015

I was wondering about that too, Paul. Why are the charges the husband incurred not community debt? Also, weren’t payments made for the two + years? Is continued use and payment not a confirmation of the debt? Aren’t payments applied on a FIFO basis? I can’t see how the widow could have continued use of the card for two years without paying off a lot of the pre-death obligation, even if she ran the total balance up. On another thought, I once got all credit card debt of a deceased spouse discharged by using the homestead allowance (although the spouses were legally separated when the debt was incurred by the decedent, so my client had no personal obligation on the accounts).