[WSBAPT] Beneficiary Designations

Katharine P. Bauer kpb at bpblegal.com
Wed Apr 15 11:15:13 PDT 2015

Situation:
Mom died, Dad committed suicide an hour later.
Dad has huge IRA for which he did not follow through on filing with them
the beneficiary designations we created.  Primary was mom, secondary is
Estate.  This is a taxable estate and we will lose a large percentage of
the IRA to taxes.

Estate legatees/beneficiaries are an adult daughter and trust for disabled
adult son.

Question:   Has anyone ever had a PR "disclaim" a payment from an IRA to
the estate?  (Daughter is PR) The "fallback" beneficiaries in the contract
are the children.  My thought is to force payment outright to kids, allow
them to take over their lifetime,  Son could place his share into a
self-settled trust or ???  Largest IRA - $1 million - holder is not
allowing PR to direct to daughter/SNtrust under terms of Will.  I can go
for a court order.

Just curious about the disclaimer idea.  Not busy enough today to take the
easy route.
--
Katharine P. Bauer
Bauer Pitman Lifetime Legal, PLLC

 e-mail: kpb at bpblegal.com

 This message is confidential and may be protected by the attorney-client
privilege; it is intended solely for the use of the individual named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any
notify the sender by telephone or e-mail, delete this message from your
files, and return any printed copies to the sender by U.S. mail. Circular
230 Disclosure: Any tax advice contained in this communication (including
any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used,
for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction, arrangement, or other matter