[WSBAPT] Estate planning referral

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Fri Apr 10 14:07:52 PDT 2015

Well put, John.

My second employer was still practicing at age 78, when he died in his
office chair. His files ended up in his widow's dining room.

While I know that many of our clients expect us to keep working until they
die, and for some that may be true, I chose to retire when many of my
clients were still living. I have selected an experienced estates and trusts
attorney to take my files. He has a young associate who will likely follow
in his footsteps.

Many of my colleagues are experienced and wise, but few who are not in large
firms seem to be bringing aboard young attorneys to whom they can pass on
their practices.

Among those in small offices, I expect to see a fair number of lawyers
leaving the practice in the next decade (assuming I am alive) without much
in the way of plans for transitioning their clients to new counsel. Hence, I
understand the desire to find an attorney who will be around for decades.
However, this list has a preponderance of solo and small firm practitioners.
Large firm attorneys seldom participate here, so you may want to consider
one of the larger firms in or close to Tacoma.

I will duck my head now to dodge the flack I expect from my peers.