[WSBAPT] RCW 11.12.051 & Legal Separation

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Thu Apr 9 18:57:30 PDT 2015

Hello Tara:

Your interpretation is correct.  A Decree of Legal Separation does not end the marriage.

One of the reasons a number of people choose this option is to be able to "split the sheets" while stay maintaining the status of husband and wife.  This might be for religious reasons.  Another common reason is to maintain the status of married in order to allow a spouse with health issues to continue to be covered by the other spouse's group health insurance.  Certainly the ability to have that occur can make a huge difference in the quality of life for the not-well spouse, and might also have a direct effect on the amount of maintenance that the "well spouse" might otherwise have to provide.

So, while a Decree of Legal Separation might well have divided property into separate property belonging to each respective spouse, when a death occurs after a Decree of Legal Separation has been entered, a pre-existing will naming the surviving spouse as taking under the will, would still, in my opinion, be enforceable, and not affected by RCW 11.12.051 since the marriage of the parties, indeed, is not "dissolved, invalidated, or terminated."

Now, it might be that this could still lead to a result that the deceased did not necessarily intend (for instance, if that spouse simply did not have the time to change his/her will prior to an untimely death soon after entry of a Decree of Legal Separation.)

But, that situation would be no different than the couple (true case in my past practice) for whom a Decree of Legal Separation had been entered (with all property divided into his and her separate property), with one spouse dying unexpectedly, intestate, with the surviving spouse thus obtaining one-half of the deceased spouse's separate property under the Intestacy Statute, and the children of the decedent receiving the other half of the separate property of the decedent.  In that case, it was well understood that the decedent had planned to apply to have the Decree of Legal Separation converted into a Decree of Dissolution after six months had gone by, but six months had not passed prior to his death, and his surviving spouse got half of the Decedent's separate property, while retaining all of the separate property that had been awarded to the surviving spouse in the Decree of Legal Separation.

But, in both cases, that is what the statute mandates.

RCW 11.12.051 saves a forgetful divorced spouse, who fails to change his/her will after a Decree of Dissolution is entered, from having his/her estate go to a former spouse.  It does not, however, save the forgetful spouse who, for whatever reason, enters into a Decree of Legal Separation, but either fails to change his/her will naming his/her spouse as taking under the Will, or someone who never bothers to prepare a will, prior to his/her death, leaving part of all of his/her separate property in the ownership of the surviving spouse from whom he/she was legally separated.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.