[WSBAPT] Small Business Valuation

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Apr 9 11:45:26 PDT 2015

I'd say, value only the tangible property, plus A/R if any. There is no value as a "going concern" because sole proprietor is deceased, so there's nothing else left. Anybody who bought "the business" would just get a bunch of used tools and maybe a client list (if it's the kind of business that is primarily repeat customers), so an appraiser isn't going to find much value there.

Under those circumstances I might not even list the "business" as an asset, but just the tools and A/R if any. If decedent had a great reputation and there might be some value in copyright/trademark for the business name, I might reconsider that.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC