[WSBAPT] death and meretricious relationship

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Apr 7 11:15:11 PDT 2015

Mike--The situation is not good. Nonmarital partner does not take under inheritance rules. Take a look at Estate of Langeland, 177 Wn. App. 315, 312 P.3d 657 (Div. 1 2013) rev. denied 180 Wn.2d 1009 (2014), holding that intestacy statutes don't apply, and that the community-like property accumulated by the nonmarital couple during the relationship should be divided in a "fair and equitable" manner between the deceased's estate and the survivor, which is not necessarily 50-50. I guess there's a chance that the client could argue that "fair and equitable" here would be 100% to her given that the deceased has no one but shirttail relatives to inherit--the "laughing heir" scenario that our intestacy rules are supposed to try to avoid.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC