[WSBAPT] Probate GAL for Minor Beneficiary?

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Apr 3 15:02:52 PDT 2015

James,

I have copied below a snippet of materials for a presentation I did on this topic several months ago. It should get you started.

I don't think a probate GAL is mandatory in your situation, but full disclosure to the Court and let the Commissioner exercise discretion to determine if it makes sense. Might depend on the size of the POD account relative to the overall probate assets that will be delivered to the Trust pursuant to the Will.

Statutory authority for dealing with minors in inheritance/estate situations:

11.76.080 - Spells out situations where the Court shall appoint a GAL, exceptions to that rule and clear authority for the Court to exercise authority to appoint a GAL at any point in estate proceedings.

11.76.095 - Requires distribution of estates to minors to be handled in one of three ways.
             ( Blocked Account, Court appointed Guardian or Custodian under UTMA)

11.114.030, .050 & .060 - Provide circumstances where the distribution may be made to a custodian whether or not specified in the Will. (.060(c) indicates that Court order is required if over $30,000)

11.114.200 - Allows for Custodianship to be extended to age 25.

11.96A.160 - Provides that the Court on its own motion, or upon request of any party at any point in the proceedings may appoint a GAL to represent interest of minor(s).

Though there are only a few situations where a GAL is required, because under both 11.96A.160 and 11.76.080(1) the Court may appoint a GAL at any time for practically any reason, disclosure to the Court of the existence of the minor and the plan for protecting their interest is critical. Similarly, planning for minors in the estate plan (trust, custodianship, etc.) is also critical. A distribution to a Trustee on behalf of a minor is not a "distribution to a minor" under 11.76.095, but should nevertheless be disclosed in the pleadings and if appearing, to the commissioner directly.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.