[WSBAPT] age of witnesses

Jane Bitz Jane at JBitzLaw.com
Tue Sep 2 17:49:53 PDT 2014

Hear, hear for the competency of under 18 year olds. My daughter lived in
Germany as an exchange student for a year when she was 16; competent to
testify, no doubt.

BUT think about this issue from the client’s point of view if the
competency of the witness is challenged by someone who wants to overturn
the Will AND the PR has to pay the estate attorney to go to a hearing
where the now adult witness has to testify about their understanding of
the witness affidavit, etc.

Now let’s assume that I used my daughter as a witness on Wills in my
office in the year after she returned from Germany and was taking all AP
classes to graduate from high school in her senior year (still age 17).
She now lives permanently in Germany. If any of those Wills were
challenged because she had not reached the age of presumed competency, I
have now created a huge problem for my client.

Maybe you can have your Running Start student come back to the office at
age 18 and sign a stack of Affidavits for each of the Wills he/she has
witnessed attesting to the facts of the signatures after he/she is
presumed competent.

Jane.