[WSBAPT] Residence into an FLP?

jeffrey winter jdwinter at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:36:57 PDT 2014

Listmates:

I have a PC that has a larger estate (easily taxable at the federal
level).  The client is single, and has children.  The client was initially
not adverse to paying the government in the form of estate taxes upon
death, but may be having second thoughts about that.

The assets consist mostly of a business (together with an office
building), two residences, and investments.  The client has a 'significant
other' to whom the client wishes to leave a life estate in the residential
properties.

The client's financial advisor has recommended a 'layered' approach:  put
the office building and both residences into an FLP, and create a
corporation to function as the general partner of the FLP.  Then gift out
units of the FLP to the kids.

While I am familiar with the strategy, I am not sure about putting the
residential properties into an FLP.  I was always under the impression
that there had to be a valid business purpose underlying the transfer of
assets to the FLP.  Even if such a purpose exists, however, how does one
deal with the client's intent to leave the paramour a life estate?  Leave
her a life estate in the client's share of the FLP units?  That would seem
overbroad, as she is not intended to have any control over the office
building...

Any suggestions as to the mechanics of how this might be accomplished?

Jeffrey D. Winter

Law Office of Jeffrey D. Winter, P.S.
604 North Main Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926
(509) 925-9600 tel.
(509) 925-9606 fax

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.