[WSBAPT] 2519 and termination of QTIP

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Fri Nov 21 11:10:06 PST 2014

Katherine,

If you have sufficient funds to merit a federal QTIP, his estate should have no DSUE because you will have used all of his exclusion amount. That should apply unless the first spouse was impecunious, in which case DSUE would apply (but your post refers to her “half”). ($30m/2 = $15m, which is >$5,340k.) The same logic would apply if the first decedent’s estate is $30m (your question does not make it clear in my mind whether the first spouse’s estate is $30m or the entire community estate is $30m, but implies the latter.)

As for terminating the QTIP (which I believe gifting of any income interest would do, per 2519), see if the QTIP language permits liberal distributions to the surviving spouse. If so, you could make large distributions to the spouse and she could make gifts, without terminating the entire QTIP. Since we are near a year end, she could make multiple annual exclusion gifts and reduce her taxable estate somewhat. Those gifts would be tax free, and could be spread among children, grandchildren, and spouses.

Also, if she gives away her own estate entirely, then withdrawals from the QTIP are more reasonable, if there is some sort of HEMS type restriction in place.

Is a QTIP “termination” even necessary?

Don’t forget, the executor makes the QTIP election; it’s not automatic. His executor can make a partial QTIP election rather than a full one, or no election at all, so that the portion of the decedent’s trust which is QTIP eligible can be defined as part of the overall plan. You can time this also, since the federal and state exclusion/exemption amounts rise on 1/1/2015. I don’t think the annual exclusion is changing for next year, but if you have 5 eligible gift recipients, that’s an extra $70k which will not be taxed at either the state or federal levels, thereby justifying  a part of your fees.