[WSBAPT] Executing Will with Client that lacks ability to sign

Lisa Schuchman lisa at lisaschuchman.com
Thu Nov 20 11:13:05 PST 2014

Try this:

RCW 42.44.080
Standards for notarial acts.

A notary public is authorized to perform notarial acts in this state. Notarial acts shall be performed in accordance with the following, as applicable:

     (1) In taking an acknowledgment, a notary public must determine and certify, either from personal knowledge or from satisfactory evidence, that the person appearing before the notary public and making the acknowledgment is the person whose true signature is on the document.

     (2) In taking an acknowledgment authorized by RCW 64.08.100 from a person physically unable to sign his or her name or make a mark, a notary public shall, in addition to other requirements for taking an acknowledgment, determine and certify from personal knowledge or satisfactory evidence that the person appearing before the notary public is physically unable to sign his or her name or make a mark and is otherwise competent. The notary public shall include in the acknowledgment a statement that the signature in the acknowledgment was obtained under the authority of RCW 64.08.100.

RCW 64.08.100
Acknowledgments by persons unable to sign name.
Any person who is otherwise competent but is physically unable to sign his or her name or make a mark may make an acknowledgment authorized under this chapter by orally directing the notary public or other authorized officer taking the acknowledgment to sign the person's name on his or her behalf. In taking an acknowledgment under this section, the notary public or other authorized officer shall, in addition to stating his or her name and place of residence, state that the signature in the acknowledgment was obtained under the authority of this section.
[1987 c 76 § 2.]
STATE OF WASHINGTON             )
                                    )  ss.
County of King                                    )

On this day and date, before me personally appeared _________________, to me known to be the individual described in the within and foregoing instrument, and acknowledged the said instrument to be her/his free and voluntary act and deed, for the uses and purposes therein mentioned. She/He further acknowledged that s/he is physically unable to sign her/his name [or make a mark, and authorized me to sign her/his name on her/his behalf under the authority of RCW 64.08.100].  I certify, either from personal knowledge or from satisfactory evidence, that the person appearing before the notary public and making the acknowledgement is the person whose true signature is on the document.

GIVEN under my hand and official seal this _____ day of January, 2004.

                                                                        ___________________________________¬
                                                                        NOTARY PUBLIC in and for the State of
                                                                        Washington, residing at Seattle
                                                                        Commission Expires: _________________

Lisa E. Schuchman
206-325-2801
www.lisaschuchman.com<http://www.lisaschuchman.com/>

Education is what you get when you read the fine print.  Experience is what you get when you don’t. -Pete Seeger

NOTE: I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

Any tax advice included in this document and its attachments was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code.
P  Please consider the trees before printing this document