[WSBAPT] Off-topic referral - guardianship vs third party custody

Wickert Law 2014-10 wickertlaw at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 14:59:05 PST 2014

Lisa, Guardianship may be more difficult for your client if you anticipate a contested proceeding. You may want to look at a third party child custody proceeding.  A third party child custody proceeding will be awarded to grandparent if it can be shown the parents are unfit or it would be “detrimental to the child” to live with the parents. The third party child custody matter does not terminate parental rights. But the grandparent as third party custodian has court authority over the custody, finances, and personal care of the minor. I have negotiated a visitation schedule of a child with his or her parents in third party child custody matters. You also need to address child support if necessary. In a guardianship, a GAL will be appointed. In third party child custody matters, a GAL is not typically appointed.

Good luck.

Very truly yours,

Maureen A. Wickert, Attorney at Law

Business card for email

14900 Interurban Avenue South, Suite 255

        Tukwila, WA 98168

       Phone: 206-859-5502

         Fax: 206-260-9005

     www.wickertlawoffice.com <http://www.wickertlawoffice.com/>

       wickertlaw at comcast.net

This electronic message contains information which may be confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify me by telephone or by email immediately.