[WSBAPT] Creditor Claim by former spouse

Elena Garella law at garella.com
Thu Nov 6 11:20:47 PST 2014

My gut feeling is that there is a solid laches defense-- The spouse waited
25 years (!) to bring these claims, and because of her/his dilatory
conduct, the estate is in no position to defend on factual grounds.  If, in
fact, the decedent undertook some or all of the court-ordered obligations,
the PR can't find out from the decedent, and the persons most likely to
know may be barred from testimony under the dead man's statute.

Holt v. Holt,995 S.W.2d 68, (Tenn.1999) has an interesting discussion
regarding the life insurance issue.  Imposed a constructive trust on the
life insurance proceeds for the decedent's son where the decedent was
obligated to carry life insurance for the son but instead named dec's mom
as beneficiary

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Rob Tulloch <rtulloch at earthlink.net> wrote:

>   I am involved in a probate in which the decedent had a decree of
> dissolution (over 25 years ago) ordering him to do numerous things (e.g.
> reimburse out-of-pocket insurance costs and deductibles).  .
>

> The former spouse of the decedent filed a creditor’s claim on the basis of
> decedent’s failure to pay some of the obligations.
>

> I recognize the 10 year limitation (RCW 4.16.020(3)) that applies to
> enforcing child support obligations (obviously not applicable here!), but
> does the similar 10 year provision for enforcing judgments of a court (RCW
> 4.16.020(2)) apply in this instance?  If not, what is applicable?
>

> What if there was an obligation in a decree to obtain a life insurance
> policy for the benefit of the former wife and a policy was never obtained
> (or lapsed many years ago).  The provisions for collecting liability or
> casualty insurance under RCW 11.40.060 are clearly not applicable, but what
> limitation of actions applies to enforcing a decree of dissolution
> provision for life insurance?
>

> Insights/experience on this issue will be appreciated.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Rob Tulloch

Elena Luisa Garella
Law Offices