[WSBAPT] Garnishment Served on Personal Representative

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:04:16 PST 2014

Kokie--I've never dealt with this nor am I a "garnishment" expert.
However, it seems to me some simple logic applies:

1.  the statute you cite by its terms does not apply to estate
beneficiaries and so can be ignored.
2.  the beneficiary does not own the property in the estate, and until the
estate Is wrapped up it is unclear what property goes to the
beneficiaries.  Admin expenses and debts of the decedent trump the
beneficiaries, and this is a moving target until the very end.
3.  Therefore the PR's answer to the writ *must* be that the PR at the time
of service of the writ has no property of the beneficiary. I think the
beneficiary might have an expectancy, but that does not rise to the level
of property ownership by the beneficiary, which property is held by the PR.

 At least that is how it seems to me.
Mark
​

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Kokie Adams <Kadams at purcelladams.com> wrote:

>  Has anyone dealt with a Writ of Garnishment served on the PR by a
> claimant who is owed money by an heir of the estate?  RCW 6.27.050 allows
> garnishment of an executor for money due from a decedent to a defendant –
> but was this meant to apply to the inheritance an heir is to receive from
> the decedent?   What if there is no cash in the estate at the time the
> garnishment was served, only real property.

> Kokie Adams
>
> Purcell & Adams, PLLC
>
> 7127 - 196th Street S.W.
>
> Suite 201
>
> Lynnwood, WA  98036
>
> 425.774.0444 (phone)
>
> 425.771.2711 (fax)
>
> kadams at purcelladams.com
>

> *E-mail is a sustainable communication tool. Please consider the
> environment before printing this e-mail. Think Green!*
>
> *CONFIDENTIALITY AND CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:** This communication is private
> and confidential. It is intended to constitute an electronic communication
> within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
> 2510. Its disclosure is strictly limited to and intended for the sole use
> of the recipient intended by the sender of this message. This message may
> contain information which is privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or duplication of this communication by someone other than the
> intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. As
> required by the Internal Revenue Service, anything contained in this
> communication pertaining to any U.S. federal tax matter is not to be used
> for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties under the Internal
> Revenue Code or for promoting, marketing or recommending to any third party
> the tax implications of any partnership or other entity, investment plan or
> arrangement discussed in this communication.** If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify this firm immediately by collect call
> at (425) 774-0444 <%28425%29%20774-0444>, or by reply to this communication
> and immediately delete the message.*

Mark T. Higgins
Higgins Lock PLLC
P.O. Box 57