[WSBAPT] revocation of driver license based upon Alzheimer diagnosis....HELP

Carl Gay clgay at tfon.com
Tue May 6 14:55:33 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I sense I am beyond my depth in advising and assisting a 71 year old
long-time client, with a family history of Alzheimer’s Disease, who has
had her Washington driver’s license revoked based upon the “rogue” report
of a neurologist to whom she was referred by her family physician.

The referral was in part made to alleviate my client’s apprehension that
since she was having trouble remembering names and nouns, she feared she
had the disease.  The neurologist evaluated her and found no evidence of
the disease based upon an MRI, an angiogram of her head, carotid
ultrasound, and blood work, but referred her to a psychologist who found
she was within normal ranges for several test areas but was marginal for
others including auditory and visual memory on the Wechsler Memory Scale
tests.

The neurologist, after receiving the report from the psychologist and
without advising my client, wrote to the Department of Licensing and
opined that “based upon current medical condition, this person probably
has Alzheimer’s dementia and should not be driving”.  DOL promptly sent
her notice that her driver’s license had been revoked.

My client returned to her family physician, who concluded some new
medications prescribed by the neurologist had adversely affected her
cognitive ability and balance (causing dizziness).  Based upon a follow-up
evaluation after she was taken off those medications, the family physician
wrote a letter to DOL stating the client (i) did not have a condition
which may cause a loss of consciousness or control, (ii) did not have a
condition which may interfere with driving, but that my client (iii)
should be required to submit periodical medical examination reports as a
condition of licensing at six (6) month intervals.  DOL nevertheless
upheld the revocation of her driver’s license and she has an
administrative appeal hearing on May 13, 2014.

I solicit your referrals to counsel who handle this type of matter or who
might be able to advise me relative to the law and procedure under these
circumstances.  My thought was to arrange another evaluation by the
psychologist now that my client’s meds have been adjusted, but I know such
a course presents inherent risks.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance in referring me to others
with experience in appeals of this nature.

Best regards,

clg

CARL LLOYD GAY

GREENAWAY, GAY & TULLOCH

Attorneys and Counselors at Law

829 East Eighth Street       Suite A

Port Angeles, Washington   98362

Email                       <mailto:clgay at tfon.com> clgay at tfon.com

Telephone               (360) 452-3323

Facsimile                (360) 452-3724

THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF THE
INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED, AND MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED
AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION THAT IS COVERED BY THE ELECTRONIC
COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT (18 USC §§ 2510-2521). IF YOU ARE NOT THE
INTENDED RECIPIENT OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER THE MESSAGE TO THE
INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION,
DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF
YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR; PLEASE NOTIFY US
IMMEDIATELY BY TELEPHONE AND/OR EMAIL AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.
THANK YOU

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.