FW: [WSBAPT] small estate affidavit of successor

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Tue May 13 15:47:02 PDT 2014

I have not filed these after I have prepared them and had client(s) sign
them, sending them to the bank, or the insurance company, the annuity
company, or to whomever had funds, belonging to the Decedent, that  we
wanted to collect, short of full-blown probate.

That being said, I had a pro se person come to me about a week ago, and he
said he had filed the affidavit he had filled out, on a form he received
at the local Clerk’s Office.  It could be that once a person gets the
form, he/she is told by a Deputy Clerk about the $20.00 filing fee and is
either encouraged to file it, or assumes that it has to be filed.

In that case, the person had filed the Affidavit, a COPY of a Durable
Power of Attorney signed by the Decedent (no longer in effect), and a COPY
of the Last Will and Testament.  I guess he wanted to make sure he touched
all of the bases.

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt

Lawyer

Office: (360) 213-2040

 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake,
please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead,
please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning
us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office
via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client
privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your
matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if
this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice
is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of
avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice
to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a
comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please
contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to
discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.