[SPAM] RE: [WSBAPT] Life estate?

Beth McDaniel beth at bethmcdaniel.com
Wed May 21 11:51:52 PDT 2014

I conur with Katharine.  I don’t think I would ever do a life estate
unless it was to give a parent a life estate in a child’s house (for
Medicaid purposes).  They are too problematic.  I too establish a
testamentary trust and am clear with regard to all of the contingencies
(including the occupation of the property by a significant other of the
holder of the life estate.  If it may become an issue for the life estate
holder to make major repairs to the property, I also set aside money for
that purpose.

Below is sample language.  Please feel free to critique.  Of course, the
cash bequest could be outright or in trust.

THIRD:  ***********.  As soon as practicable following my death, my
personal representative shall allocate and hold my residence located at
************, in trust for my ***, ***********, if s/he is surviving.
**** shall have the exclusive right to live in the residence and enjoy the
property for the remainder of her/his lifetime providing s/he does not
remarry or vacate the property for more than 90 continuous days.  During
such time that **** shall live in the residence, ***** shall be solely
responsible for all household maintenance and repairs of the residence and
property.

Upon *** death, her/his remarriage, or if s/he should vacate the residence
for a continuous period of 90 days or longer, the trust shall end and the
residence shall be distributed in the same manner as my residuary estate
has been or will be distributed.

Additional language re cash distribution:

In addition to the above distribution, as soon as practicable following my
death if my wife ******** is surviving and is residing or intends to
reside in my residence located at ***********************, my personal
representative shall distribute outright to ***** the sum of Twenty
Thousand Dollars ($20,000.00).  It is my intent with this distribution
that ***** shall apply these funds in her discretion towards necessary
maintenance and repairs on the residence during such time that s/he shall
reside there.  If **** is not surviving, does not reside or intend to
reside in my residence at the time of my death, all distributive
provisions of this paragraph shall lapse and be null and void.

Beth A. McDaniel

Law Offices of Beth A. McDaniel, PLLC

272 Hardie Avenue SW

Renton, WA 98057

(425) 251-8880

fax:(425) 336-2505

www.bethmcdaniel.com <http://www.bethmcdaniel.com/>

beth at bethmcdaniel.com

This communication contains confidential information and may be
attorney/client privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or
believe you have received this communication in error, please reply to the
sender stating that fact and delete the copy you received.