[WSBAPT] Creditor Claim and Motion for Removal in a Complex Matter?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jun 30 16:40:33 PDT 2014

Quick stab at answers, if no one has responded already:

1. Daughter should have received notice of probate, as an heir at law. RCW
11.04.015, RCW 11.28.237. The fact that it's thought to be all community
property doesn't change her status as heir at law, I would argue. She has
a direct right to inherit based on the statute, and the determination of
community versus separate comes later, as the PR does her job.

2. No one is "entitled" to Notice to Creditors but I think the corporation
is a "reasonably ascertainable creditor" under RCW 11.40.040 given widow's
knowledge of the issues.

3. Yes, but I don't see from the facts that daughter 1 or husband have any
direct claim; just the corporation. If you just mean their derivative
rights because the corporation isn't going to act, then it gets tricky
about how to file the creditor claim since they don't have authority to
file it. I think failure to file a creditor claim becomes a cause of
action in the derivative action.

4. I don't think so; see 3.

5. No, there's no residency requirement. If there's property in Washington
jurisdiction that's enough of a toehold to allow court to take
jurisdiction and appoint any suitable person.

6. Yes, court can appoint "any suitable person" as new PR. However, since
daughter 1 will be in litigation against the Estate, probably better to
have a professional PR appointed, so there is no conflict, and daughter 1
can pursue the litigation freely.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen