[WSBAPT] Fwd: old reporters (as in books, not journalists)

Karen E. Boxx kboxx at uw.edu
Wed Jul 2 13:06:33 PDT 2014

I asked Mary Whisner, UW law librarian, about solutions for old law books,
thinking she might be the best person to weigh in on the recent
discussion.  Here is her reply.

karen

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Whisner <whisner at uw.edu>
Date: July 2, 2014 at 12:54:37 PM PDT
To: "Karen E. Boxx" <kboxx at uw.edu>
Subject: RE: old reporters (as in books, not journalists)

Golly, it's been going on for a couple of decades. Those of us in the book
generation feel sad to see the books go into dumpsters, but there aren't
any good places to donate them (the community college paralegal programs
and prisons who once would have been happy to get a set of Wn.2d already
have one).

In Seattle, hardcover books can't be recycled in the regular recycling
without the covers being removed.
<http://www.seattle.gov/util/MyServices/LookItUpWhatsAccepted/Paper/PaperP
rintedReading/BooksHardback/index.htm>
http://www.seattle.gov/util/MyServices/LookItUpWhatsAccepted/Paper/PaperPr
intedReading/BooksHardback/index.htm

We have a special service that picks up ours. (I think the company name is
on the bin in the loading dock.)

Some interior designers like law books because they look classy and they
match (and the spine doesn't ever have anything risque or distracting). I
don't know how to find an interior designer who's looking. Craigslist
maybe.

Here's a huge company that supplies books--any style, any color.
<http://www.booksbythefoot.com/> http://www.booksbythefoot.com/ The
website doesn't seem to say anything about buying books.

Over the years, we've been contacted by a set designer who wanted law
books for a lawyer's office (I think we rented them some) and a movie crew
that wanted to film books being burned (I don't remember whether Reba had
some duplicates for them).

At a craft fair, I saw a local law librarian who had a side business
turning superseded books into velvet-lined boxes for jewelry or
knick-knacks.  Don't you have a lamp made of law books?

Check out this beautiful reference desk at Perkins Coie:
<http://www.aallnet.org/Blogs/spectrum-blog/45035.html>
http://www.aallnet.org/Blogs/spectrum-blog/45035.html

Alas, there probably aren't enough craft projects for all the reporters
being surplussed.

-- Mary

Mary Whisner, Reference Librarian
whisner at uw.edu