[WSBAPT] PR discretion - charitable gift in will

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Fri Jan 31 00:07:58 PST 2014

Since it’s late, I’ll throw out a random story. A partner and I used to
have an office in Woodinville, next door to a bank branch. One day, the
bank was robbed, and the robber escaped right past our office, on foot,
unbeknownst to us until later. We had a good discussion about what if the
robber had come into the office right after the robbery and met with one
of us? What if he had disclosed he had recently robbed a bank, and wanted
us to represent him if he got arrested? Were we obligated under the rules
not to disclose his being in our office or that he had robbed a bank? We
pretty much concluded that we could not give up the potential client’s
secret under the then existing rules. That was around 1979, long before
the current RPCs, which only relatively recently came up with the
disclosure obligations. It was hypothetical (otherwise, I guess I would
still be bound not to mention it), but an amusing discussion, especially
since we concluded that that would be a clever way to get away with a bank
robbery.