[WSBAPT] Power of Attorney; Power to Contract.

Doug Schafer schafer at pobox.com
Thu Jan 30 11:03:38 PST 2014

Colleagues:

On page 11 of the below unpublished opinion, COA Div. III remanded a
nursing home wrongful death lawsuit for the trial court to decide several
issues, including "whether [decedent] Mr. Coon's power of attorney
precluded him from contracting with Franklin Hills [nursing home]." Mr.
Coons had signed an arbitration agreement when admitted to the facility.

Jan. 30, 2014 - 31055-8 - Mary Rushing, et al v. Franklin Hills Health &
Rehabilitation Center, et al

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.disp
<http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.disp&filename10558MAJ>
&filename10558MAJ
I've never before seen it suggested that by signing a power of attorney a
principal might lose their power to contract.  I've never thought that
persons could voluntarily relinquish their right/power to contract -- by
signing a POA or anything else (i.e., I declare that I lack contractual
capacity!)

My impression is that guardianships often are initiated specifically
because the AIP's previously signed POA cannot shield him/her from
contracting with predators, so a court order abrogating their right/power
to contract is sought.

Are there any sound arguments that a person could lose their right/power
to contract by signing a POA?

Doug Schafer, in Tacoma.

=======================
- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.