[WSBAPT] Advancements - tweak it

Kate Szurek kate at skagitlaw.com
Tue Feb 4 13:57:20 PST 2014

Yes, you can raise the level of reliability as high as you want.  In the
particular situation that created my attachment, we were simply looking
for “proof” of his intentions when he gave the money to his daughters.
Loans, gifts, advances?  The family is not going to dispute his
statements, given his signature.  But I agree making it a declaration
(under penalty of perjury) could be a good idea in some cases.  If going
with the full formalities of a Will, I’d rather revise the Will itself or
do a codicil (which I seldom do for existing clients, since it is so easy
to revise a Will I already have in my system – and so much easier to read
and interpret a single document than to read and interpret multiple,
interrelated documents).  But for parents who keep bailing out children
(especially when just one child in particular), redoing their estate plan
each and every time is, to my way of thinking, an unwarranted expense.

Sometimes I do have them keep a record, however, which we reference in
their Will.

As Sam has said, it is about intent, first and foremost – and how you
expose what that was.  And then it is about an accurate and reliable
record.

Kate

Kate Szurek, J.D., LL.M.

P.O. Box 336 / 227 Freeway Drive, Suite B

Mount Vernon, WA  98273

360.336.1000

360.336.6690 (fax)

 <mailto:kate at skagitlaw.com> kate at skagitlaw.com