[WSBAPT] Advancements

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Mon Feb 3 17:08:05 PST 2014

I think every case is of course a bit different.  It depends whether
everyone, kid included, agree that this should be treated as an
advancement.  Is mom filing a gift tax return?  Is it a gift or more like
a loan?  My general preference is to make reference to the advancement in
the Will and provide for specific gifts to other children to equalize,
prior to equal division of the residuary.  It also helps to put receiving
child on notice that the distribution is being treated as an advancement.

The law provides “Every gratuitous inter vivos transfer is deemed to be an
absolute gift and not an advancement unless shown to be an advancement.”
So the burden is on the testatrix, or other children after mom dies, to
prove advancement and not gift.  Sometimes a notarized statement, kept
with the Will might be enough, but where mom is competent and has the
evidence of the advancement available, why not get it in the Will?

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law

3909 California Avenue SW

Seattle, WA 98116-3705

(206)938-5500

 <mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com> heatherd at westseattlelaw.com

 <http://www.westseattlelaw.com/> www.westseattlelaw.com

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all
copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.