[WSBAPT] Wrongful death & estate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Dec 30 16:18:45 PST 2014

Dalynne--I haven't encountered this situation from your end, but I have represented a PR where she was one of three statutory beneficiaries, and the other two were largely estranged from the decedent. With wrongful death damages being largely measured by strength and closeness of the relationship with the decedent, and the PR having fiduciary duties to unfriendly and suspicious siblings who aren't going to like the PR receiving the lion's share of the settlement, it's obviously a problem and one that I ended up thinking about quite a bit. Ultimately the PR settled the case for an undifferentiated lump sum and we then petitioned the court to approve a proposed allocation between the siblings. After notice and an opportunity to be heard the court approved the allocation, and that kept the PR out of trouble.

Obviously your problem is the opposite end--how to ensure that your 3 clients' interests are effectively advocated for by the PR, pre-settlement. The PR is in the driver's seat of the litigation so it's tough to get the court to diminish that control. I'd suggest petitioning for an order directing the PR to obtain court approval of any settlement or at least obtain all statutory beneficiaries' consent prior to entering any settlement. As a practical matter, that forces the PR to reach a reasonable settlement.

At some point the PR will be forced to explain her reasoning on why the case should be settled at a particular value. The value is either limited by litigation-risk and liability factors or is a slam-dunk liability and the main argument is on damages. If it's limited, settlement for a lump sum is reasonable and the dispute is on allocation between beneficiaries. If it's more a slam-dunk then the settlement has to be based more on determining each beneficiary's damages and summing that to find the settlement amount.

In the meantime, it can't hurt to send a letter to PR's litigation attorney, making clear that your clients are beneficiaries who must be considered, emphasizing what their damages are likely to be based on, and piously expressing confidence that the PR will be sure to keep their claims in mind when determining settlement.

My $0.02.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen