[WSBAPT] Accessing Bank Accounts after Death

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:18:19 PST 2014

Amanda--my experience is that the bank will do what it wants.  I once had a
bank refuse to give the PR a copy of the deceased's bank statement until
there was a court order compelling.  The judge certainly signed the order
but otherwise did not throw the book at the bank.  The bank was just
proceeding cautiously.

Mark​

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Bill Meyer <bmeyer at wlmlaw.net> wrote:

> Amanda
>
>                 You might consider advising clients to have relatively
> small JTWROS bank account naming the partner, spouse, etc as the joint
> tenant.  This will provide cash during that period between death and
> obtaining the death certificate and letters testamentary.
>

>                 Regarding this client, I presume the bank account you are
> referring to is a JRWOS account.  If not, then the bank is incorrect and I
> would recommend speaking with the bank manager.
>

>                 Regarding paying funeral home, attorney; funeral homes
> will work with the PR and I suggest you as the attorney consider delaying
> asking for funds until assets are available.   My practice is to wait and
> front the cost of filing fees etc.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill
>

> William L. Meyer Attorney at Law, PLLC
>
> P.O. Box 181
>
> Port Townsend, Washington 98368
>

> Tel:  360-379-3944
>
> Email:  bmeyer at wlmlaw.net
>

> This electronic message and all attachments thereto are confidential, are
> protected by the attorney-client privilege and other  privileges, and are
> intended for the exclusive use of the listed reciepient(s).  If you have
> received this message or attachments in error, please so indicate in a
> reply message to the sender, William L. Meyer Attorney at Law, PLLC, email
> address:  bmeyer at wlmlaw.net, and delete the contents of this message and
> all attachments.  Any reproduction, use, or retransmission of this message
> or attachments, other than as specified above, is prohibited without the
> express permission of William L. Meyer Attorney at Law, PLLC.

Mark T. Higgins
Higgins Lock PLLC
P.O. Box 57
Darrington, WA 98241