[WSBAPT] disqualifying a named personal representative

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Tue Dec 16 16:53:52 PST 2014

Excellent.

James R. Doran

Attorney at Law

100 E. Pine Street - Suite 205

Bellingham, WA 98225

(360)393-9506

 <mailto:jim at doranlegal.com> jim at doranlegal.com

www.doranlegal.com

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
[mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Dewey Weddle
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:36 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] disqualifying a named personal representative

Thanks to all who responded.

I considered a small estate affidavit, but it cannot be used because not all
of the debts of the decedent have been paid.

Richard Wills guided me in the right direction.

In re Estate of Marcella Louise Jones:  152 Wash.2d 1

Any person interested in a will may object to the granting of testamentary
letters to the persons named as executors.
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=L&pubNum=1000259&cit
e=WAST11.28.020&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=LQ&
originationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&co
ntextData=(sc.Search)> RCW 11.28.020. Moreover, the right of beneficiaries
to have an estate distributed by law is a primary right, and if a particular
person serving as a personal representative may interfere with this right,
that person should not be appointed.
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1921102137&
pubNum=660&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=RP&origi
nationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&context
Data=(sc.Search)> In re Estate of Langill, 117 Wash. 268, 270, 201 P. 28
(1921). It is the court's job to guard against waste or loss to the estate.
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1921102137&
pubNum=660&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=RP&origi
nationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&context
Data=(sc.Search)> Id. at 269, 201 P. 28. Therefore, where a conflict of
interest exists which would contravene the rights of the beneficiaries and
result in waste of the estate, a potential representative should be
disqualified. See
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1932103377&
pubNum=661&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=RP&origi
nationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&context
Data=(sc.Search)> In re Estate of Thomas, 167 Wash. 127, 133-34, 8 P.2d 963
(1932) (holding that where ill will exists which would result in more
litigation the court may appoint any suitable person even if that person is
outside of the family);
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1998030991&
pubNum=661&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=RP&origi
nationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&context
Data=(sc.Search)> In re Estate of Rohrback, 152 Or.App. 68, 72, 74, 952 P.2d
87 (1998) (holding that where a conflict of interest exists, a person may be
removed as a personal representative);
<http://www.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1983139397&
pubNum=711&originatingDoc=I161ebe7ef79d11d9b386b232635db992&refType=RP&origi
nationContext=document&vr=3.0&rs=cblt1.0&transitionType=DocumentItem&context
Data=(sc.Search)> Genins v. Boyd, 166 Ga.App. 843, 844, 305 S.E.2d 391
(1983) (holding that where a conflict of interest exists, a person may not
be appointed as a personal representative).
<file:///C:\Users\Dewey\Documents\Dewey's%20Docs\CLIENT%20FILES\GUARDIANSHIP
S\Kertis\In%20re%20Estate%20of%20Jones.doc#co_footnote_B014142004647604_1>
14

I think I have enough factual and legal support to have the guardian
appointed.

Thanks again to all of you who responded, and happy holidays to all.

Dewey