[WSBAPT] Administrator duty to search for indications of pre-death unfiled tax returns?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Dec 12 13:37:17 PST 2014

I like it for the potential coverage, but I wonder what I would advise a PR to do if say, we discover that the decedent didn't file a return 15 years ago. Unlikely to have any remaining documentation concerning income in that year...I guess we'd ask the IRS for any W-2s and 1099s reporting income for that year, and file a return only for the income that had been reported to the IRS?

This is one of those scenarios where I think I'd prefer to advise the PR to meet only the minimum duty to investigate, and otherwise let sleeping dogs lie. Maybe my real research should be focused on figuring out whether or not the IRS's ability to pursue a fiduciary is discharged upon closure of the Estate along with all other PR liability.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC