[WSBAPT] TOD Deeds

Kate Szurek kate at skagitlaw.com
Thu Dec 11 17:57:13 PST 2014

I'm not so sure there is an objection so much as the fact that there is a governing statute.  Try RCW 64.80.100.  I haven't looked at it carefully enough (yet) to be absolutely certain it answers the current question, but Dwight Bickel, regional counsel for title companies across 6 northwestern states, indeed told us at the RPPT seminar last Friday that all interests given must be equal and concurrent, and if there are multiple grantees, the share of a deceased grantee passes to the other grantees.  He also said a grantee must be alive at the time of transfer, and the interest is not subject to right of representation or anti-lapse rules.  I do not recall, however, his specifically discussing specifically stated contingent interests - but I cannot see how contingent interests can be concurrent.  Dwight also referred us to Al Falk's summer 2014 article in the RPPT newsletter.  Al worked hard on the legislation and was instrumental in getting it passed, so I suspect his article covers the bases.

Kate

[SkagitLaw_Signature (2)]
Kate Szurek, J.D., LL.M.
P.O. Box 336 / 227 Freeway Drive, Suite B
Mount Vernon, WA  98273
360.336.1000
360.336.6690 (fax)
kate at skagitlaw.com<mailto:kate at skagitlaw.com>