[WSBAPT] Alternatives for PR

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Thu Aug 14 13:17:31 PDT 2014

“ I wish I had a "probate potential client robot," in which I could insert
data, press a button, & get a Yes or a No as to whether or not this person
was going to become a problem down the road. “

I found that requiring a substantial fee advance up front causes many to
self-select out. At least those who pay it seem to be more desirable. It
seemed that most often it was the ones who were broke and desperate who
kept taking up more (unpaid) time for far too far into the future. I
learned a lesson about fee advances when I tried to refer a probate
litigation matter to an experienced litigator. He required a $50,000 fee
advance before he would even put in an appearance. I think he ended up
billing about $200,000 on that matter. If I didn’t have an established
relationship with a PC, I’d require the entire anticipated fee for a
“smooth” representation up front in probate matters, with a requirement
that the fund in trust never go below a set amount until conclusion of the
matter. I never regretted the ones who walked away.