[WSBAPT] Collecting a Judgment From an Estate, Against Heir ofEstate

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Aug 22 16:07:55 PDT 2014

I have a client who earmarks accounts, apparently in the account title,
based on where the money came from. For example if they previously owned
the XYZ apartment building, they would have an account titled in their
name and a reference to the XYZ apartment building which holds the
proceeds. They don’t want to identify the financial institution or account
in their Will, but want to say “I give the clearly earmarked XYZ apartment
building account to . . . .”

I have been resisting such language and encouraging them to include the
financial institution and type of account if not account number, but am
wondering whether there really is a sound reason to force them to handle
this otherwise. It seems as though the ability to ‘earmark’ an account and
thereby change the testamentary disposition is dangerous, but is it
improper? Are they trying to incorporate by reference things which don’t
exist anymore, or am I overthinking this?

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law

3909 California Avenue SW

Seattle, WA 98116-3705

(206)938-5500

 <mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com> heatherd at westseattlelaw.com

 <http://www.westseattlelaw.com/> www.westseattlelaw.com

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all
copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.