[WSBAPT] Off-topic referral request

Jennifer Johnson jmhanigan at cni.net
Wed Aug 6 09:10:25 PDT 2014

Good morning,

Does anyone have a referral to an attorney in Lewis County who handles
traffic violations?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Jennifer
--
Jennifer M. Johnson
Attorney

On 8/5/14 2:54 PM, "sullaw at comcast.net" <sullaw at comcast.net> wrote:

Listmates:

Question of the day: client's wife dies and he is appointed PR under her
probated Will. We send Notice of Appointment and Pendency of Probate to
heirs, including client's adopted son (and decedent's natural son) who is
excluded under her Will. Client and son have been alienated for decades.
Address client provided is erroneous.

Four and half months after mailing the Notice to the wrong address, son
calls. Tells me the address was wrong. Tells me his correct adress and
discloses he actually received the Notice yesterday. After cycling around
various areas of the USPS it was somehow delivered to son's child nearby,
who hand delivered it to son last night.

Son is understandably upset and this dredges up old negative memories of
adopted dad. Son indicates he's going to be watching the administration
"like a hawk" and I shouldn't trust client. Okay. Mom's Will was done ten
years ago when there was no evidence of incapacity, and she intentionally
wrote this son out. She leaves everything outright to client husband. So
I'm not too concerned in this case about a Will contest.

But ... in another situation? The Will contest statute provides that one
can be brought within four months of appointment and probate. The separate
Notice statute provides Notice must be sent out within 20 days of
appointment to last known address. What is the effect of misaddressing the
Notice on the four month limitations period, if any? My guess is none, as
long as the heir cannot prove the misaddressing was intentional.

Just to be a little proactive, I prepared a one page Declaration for
e-filing that indicates the mistake, and relays the content of the phone
conversation with the son - that he actually received the Notice at the
address he gave me and our records have been corrected. It's not a big
deal, since the client is the sole beneficiary, but I'm considering
advising that he wait another four months before making the final
distribution and filing the Declaration of Completion. Probably out of an
excess of caution.

Thoughts? Anyone had an issue raised from a similar fact pattern?

Best regards,
JOHN J. SULLIVAN,
ATTORNEY

LYONS | SULLIVAN
1111 THIRD AVENUE, SUITE 2890
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON 98101
206•623•6440 - WWW.DLJSLAW.COM

Confidentiality Notice

This email transmission is intended only for the addressee named above. It
contains information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise
protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or
dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in reliance
on its contents or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please destroy the original and notify us by
telephone immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we hereby
inform you that any U. S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including attachments, if any) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any matter addressed herein.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to: